All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPublished to wide critical acclaim in France, Badawi is Mohed Altrad s heartrending debut vel, inspired by the author s own narrative arc from Bedouin orphan to engineer and finally billionaire businessman. In the Syrian desert, a young boy watches as his mother dies. She was a repudiated woman, abandoned by the boy s powerful father, leaving Maiouf to his scornful grandmother. Though the Bedouin tribes have stopped their centuries-long travels across the dunes their tents long since converted into sedentary shacks Maiouf s grandmother wants him to carry on tradition as a shepherd. But from the first time he sneaks off to the white-walled schoolhouse to watch the other children learn, Maiouf envisions a different future for himself. This is one extraordinary child s story of fighting for an education, and a life, he was never supposed to have, from a tiny desert village to the city of Raqqa, from the university halls of Montpellier on to the oil fields of Abu Dhabi. But is a life of exile the one he wants? Can a child whose name means the abandoned one ever make a home for himself? With each step forward, he feels the love of his youth a steadfast young Syrian woman named Fadia and the shifting, haunted sands of his native village pulling him back toward the past he thought he had left behind.
- Author BiographyMohed Altrad was born into a Bedouin tribe in Syria. After earning a PhD in computer science at the University of Montpellier and working for the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, he founded Groupe Altrad, a world leader in the concrete and scaffolding industry, and was named the 2015 EY World Entrepreneur of the Year. He has published three other novels in French, L Hypothese de Dieu, La Promesse d Annah, and the forthcoming La Reconstruction from Actes Sud.
- Author(s)Mohed Altrad
- PublisherGrove Press / Atlantic Monthly Press
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGrove Press / Atlantic Monthly Press
- Weight295 g
- Width127 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $30.15
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.