All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMike Patterson has released his second offering in the internal martial arts genre. This time the spotlight is on the art of Baguazhang. This second book is again focused on covering the tactical theories, training methods and philosophy, this time of Baguazhang, as a martial art. A bit more information on the health/vitality and cultivation methods found within these disciplines has been included as well due to popular request. Shrfu Patterson is widely considered to be one of the foremost experts in the world on the internal martial arts. With over 42 years experience (at time of writing) as a successful fighter, coach and teacher, he has authored ather masterpiece covering a broad range of the Baguazhang discipline. Relating once again viewpoints gained from immense experience gleaned from the crucible of continuous and true testing of internal martial arts tenets within full contact fighting venues. Shrfu Patterson has become kwn for in-depth kwledge of the mechanics, physics and kinetics that make these arts viable within real combat. And once again, he writes from his strengths with emphasis placed on opening/closing phases of core power generation within isolate exercises, moving form and partner training of Baguazhang. Perspectives on training, skill development, conditioning, meditation/energetics/Taoist alchemy, partner drilling, strategy, tactics and cultivation are all discussed thoroughly. This is a work once again designed to, this time, present Bagua in a plain English, straightforward manner. Great lengths are taken to explain concept with science while offering simple physical proofs to test the veracity of the methods. The author again avoids subject matter that has been done to death in other books, with only a cursory d to history and any songs devoid of explanation, to instead put forth concrete methodology allowing practitioners to marry traditional practice to real world application. To this end, the book also covers R.S.P.C.T. (Realistically Structured Progressive Combat Training) for Baguazhang. Those familiar with the author's book on Xingy will recognize that RSPCT is a contemporary methodology of translating traditional concepts and tactics into viable combat skills through specific partner training. And in this book the methods designed for Bagua are included to train effective fighting for either competition or street environments. All such Bagua training methods, drills and exercises are discussed in depth. The book is once again punctuated by personal anecdotes to drive home certain salient points gleaned from his teachers within the scope of the Baguazhang discipline during his over 42+ years of study. The book contains 234 pages, single spaced 12 pt. Times New Roman, at 8 1/2 x 11, and over 800 photos and illustrations. A summary of the main table of contents follows: Statement Of Purpose; Dedication; History; Pre-Heaven Post-Heaven Bagua; Qi Gong; Meditation, Engergetics & Taoist Alchemy; Eight Basic Palms; Eight Mother Palms; Walking The Circle; When A Stride Is Not A Stride; Controlling Momentum; The 24 Keys Of Baguazhang; Focus And Be Rewarded; Beginnings; The Moving Guard Of The Circle; Mud Stepping - Why Do It?; Every Step Can Be A Kick, Every Kick Can Be A Step; The Three General Counter Strategies; The Circular Nature Of Attack; The Utility Of Strength - Tien Kan; Pliability - Serving Tea Exercises; The 8 Pole Exercises; Tangential Movement; Jiang Rang Chiao's Frame; The Tool Of Balance; Selected Applications; To Drill Or Not To Drill; R.S.P.C.T. For Baguazhang - Binding, Presenting The Back, Dragon Stepping, Turning, Small To Big/Big To Small, Scenario Drills, Tactical Defenses, Clinch Drills, Defensive Tactics, Attack Strategies, Elbow Strategies, Amalgam Drills, Attack Footwork; Rou Shou Practice; Advice And Methods On Sparring; The 2, 2, 2 & 2 Philosophy; Addendum - Essential Kwledge, 24 Stems & 5 Roots, Yin & Yang, The 3 Powers; Closing Commentary.
- Author BiographyMike Patterson is considered by many to be one of the foremost experts in the world on the internal martial arts. Shrfu Patterson is a career professional martial artist with over 46 years of Martial Arts experience at the time of this writing (2014), 36 years teaching the Internal Styles of Hsing I, Pa Kua, Tai Chi and Liou He Ba Fah. Mike Patterson was the All Taiwan Full Contact Martial Arts Champion in 1975-1976, an all inclusive contest open to all styles and all ranks. He was the youngest champion ever in the history of the event and retired undefeated. He has since trained Numerous World, International and National Full Contact Champions himself. he was Men's Coach of the 1996 World Team U.S.A. Inside Kung Fu Magazine chose him as The 1997 Coach Of The Year, having trained so many successful Full Contact KuoShu Fighters for competition. He has trained a total of 37 World, International, National and Regional Chinese KuoShu Full Contact Champions between the years of 1981 and 2000. He retired from this venue of coaching at the end of the year 2000 to focus on teaching and dissemination of the internal martial arts. He served as the West Coast Regional Director of the United States Chinese KuoShu Federation from 1996 to 2001 and now serves as a special advisor for the same organization on the internal martial arts. He has also served as consultant for military, law enforcement and professional athletics programs throughout his martial career. His insights into training are based on what is real and he has consistently demonstrated his ability to communicate central and important tenets of internal martial training to all he associates with.
- Author(s)Mike Patterson
- Date of Publication02/07/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight553 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.