All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
About this product
- DescriptionA comic classic of world literature, Aleko Konstantiv's 1895 vel Bai Ganyo follows the misadventures of rose-oil salesman Ganyo Balkanski ( Bai is a Bulgarian title of intimate respect) as he travels in Europe. Unkempt but endearing, Bai Ganyo blusters his way through refined society in Vienna, Dresden, and St. Petersburg with an eye peeled for pickpockets and a free lunch. Konstantiv's satire turns darker when Bai Ganyo returns home--bullying, bribing, and rigging elections in Bulgaria, a new country that had recently emerged piecemeal from the Ottoman Empire with the help of Czarist Russia. Bai Ganyo has been translated into most European languages, but w Victor Friedman and his fellow translators have finally brought this Balkan masterpiece to English-speaking readers, accompanied by a helpful introduction, glossary, and tes.
- Author BiographyAleko Konstantinov (1863 1897) was a well-traveled Bulgarian journalist and political writer. He was killed by an assassin s bullet while riding in an open cab. In 2003, Konstantinov and Bai Ganyo were honored on Bulgaria s currency, depicted on the 100-lev note. Victor A. Friedman is the Andrew W. Mellon Professor in the Humanities at the University of Chicago. Christina E. Kramer is professor of Slavic languages and literatures at the University of Toronto. Grace E. Fielder is professor of Russian and Slavic studies at the University of Arizona. Catherine Rudin is professor of modern languages and linguistics at Wayne State College.
- Author(s)Aleko Konstantinov
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Weight240 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Edited byVictor A. Friedman
- Translated byVictor A. Friedman,Christina E. Kramer,Grace E. Fielder,Catherine Rudin
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.