All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBathed in desert light and shadow, rising up from the earth in improbable, faraway places, stand eight original Spanish missions on Mexico s Baja California peninsula. Built of stone by Roman Catholic priests and indigeus laborers in the eighteenth century, these stunning missions dominate the landscape around them. Baja California Missions: In the Footsteps of the Padres is a beautiful and informative book about the eight monumental Spanish colonial churches, buildings seldom seen by those familiar with the missions of California, Arizona, and Sora, Mexico. With gorgeous photographs of the architecture and religious art, and supported by a concise history that outlines the peninsula s exploration and colonization by Roman Catholic priests, Baja California Missions excels as a book of photography and history. It promises adventure for readers at home, as well as for travelers ready to explore the churches in person. The eight Spanish colonial stone churches of Baja California endure as the only intact originals of 34 missions built by the padres during the peninsula s colonization. Due to structural revations and restorations of the artwork undertaken over the last 30 years, the rewned mission churches have become sources of pride to the citizens of Baja California. Travelers are invited to visit at any time, especially during patron saint day celebrations. As a guide, Baja California Missions is fully up to date, with directions for navigating Baja s paved highways and desert and mountain roads. The mission sites are pinpointed on a topographic roadmap of the peninsula. A church floor plan is provided to accompany a walk-through tour for each church interior. The lovely eighteenth-century oil paintings and wooden statues that grace the church altars are also identified and described.
- Author BiographyDavid Burckhalter is the author or photographer of five books about northern Mexico. He resides in Tucson, Arizona. Mina Sedgwick is an artist and photographer. She lives on a ranch near Nogales, Arizona.
- Author(s)David Burckhalter
- PublisherUniversity of Arizona Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2013
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleSouthwest Center Series
- Place of PublicationTucson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Arizona Press
- Content Notecolour illustrations, black & white line drawings, maps
- Weight739 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.