All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDreams are made and broken every year in the dazzling Empress Ballroom at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool, England. Fierce competition, brutal politics, and stunning artistry are all on the programme at the world's most prestigious competition, kwn to ballroom dance enthusiasts simply as Blackpool. Sharon Savoy's lifelong love affair with dance manifested itself early on. At the tender age of 16 she left home to train under George Balanchine at the School of American Ballet in New York. An accomplished ballerina, her desire to dance more expressively and with a partner led her on the path that culminated on the competition ballroom circuit. There, her passion and artistry led her to become a four-time champion in exhibition style. But, as with all obsessions, her success came with a cost. In this spellbinding book, Savoy offers a backstage pass to a world where rhinestones and high heels accompany explosive athleticism and staggering talent. With emotionally absorbing and energy-packed prose, she provides an insider's close-up view of all the players who compose this glamorous world that is part dance, part sport, and part art.
- Author BiographySharon Savoy won her first World Exhibition title at Madison Square Garden in 1984 and twenty years later ended her competitive ballroom exhibition career by winning the 2004 World Exhibition Dance Championships. She is a four-time Blackpool Exhibition Champion, a three-time World Champion, and three-time Star Search winner. She has performed in film, at the Kennedy Centre, during the Sydney Olympics, and around the world.
- Author(s)Sharon Savoy
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication28/02/2014
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Note18 b&w photos
- Weight254 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.