Baptist Faith in Action: The Private Writings of Maria Baker Taylor, 1813-1895 by Maria Baker Taylor (Hardback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $77.80Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $72.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSupplying a wealth of material from locales and a time for which few primary sources exist, Baptist Faith in Action brings to print the writings of Maria Baker Taylor (1813-1895), a strong-minded plantation mistress who spent her life in South Carolina and Florida. The granddaughter of Richard Furman, South Carolina's foremost nineteenth-century Baptist minister, Taylor was a well-educated and sophisticated member of South Carolina's second-tier planter class. She was also a most fervent Baptist. Notable for its geographical and temporal breadth, this collection of letters, diary entries, essays, and poems affords an unmatched view into the life of a woman living on the South's interior frontier during the nineteenth century. Born in Sumter County, South Carolina, Maria Baker married John Morgandollar Taylor in 1834. Throughout their marriage the couple lived on the geographical frontier, first in Beaufort District, South Carolina, and then in Marion County, Florida. The mother of thirteen children, Taylor taught her children and grandchildren at home, devoted large amounts of time to church work, and read voraciously. She also wrote volumiusly, keeping diaries, exchanging letters, and occasionally publishing anymous articles in Baptist publications. These writings document the spiritual life of an evangelical Baptist woman and explore the impact of the American Civil War on her world. Of particular interest, these writings reveal how Taylor's day-to-day experiences differed dramatically from the stereotypical image of southern plantation life.
- Author BiographyKathryn Carlisle Schwartz, a great-granddaughter of Maria Baker Taylor, holds a B.A. from Bard College and a Ph.D. from The Ohio State University. She is professor emerita of English at Ohio Wesleyan University, where she directed the freshmen composition program and taught courses in women's literature, the novel of manners, and organization writing. Now retired, she lives in Delaware, Ohio.
- Author(s)Maria Baker Taylor
- PublisherUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Date of Publication31/08/2003
- SubjectAutobiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationSouth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Content Note20 halftones, 1 line illustration
- Weight871 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Volume editorKathryn Carlisle Schwartz
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.