Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $41.12Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.34+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBarbara Stanwyck (1907-1990) rose from the ranks of chorus girl to become one of Hollywood's most talented leading women-and America's highest paid woman in the mid-1940s. Shuttled among foster homes as a child, she took a number of low-wage jobs while she determinedly made the connections that landed her in successful Broadway productions. Stanwyck then acted in a stream of high-quality films from the 1930s through the 1950s. Directors such as Cecil B. DeMille, Fritz Lang, and Frank Capra treasured her particular magic. A four-time Academy Award minee, winner of three Emmys and a Golden Globe, she was hored with a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Academy. Dan Callahan considers both Stanwyck's life and her art, exploring her seminal collaborations with Capra in such great films as Ladies of Leisure, The Miracle Woman, and The Bitter Tea of General Yen; her Pre-Code movies Night Nurse and Baby Face; and her classic roles in Stella Dallas, Remember the Night, The Lady Eve, and Double Indemnity. After making more than eighty films in Hollywood, she revived her career by turning to television, where her role in the 1960s series The Big Valley renewed her immense popularity. Callahan examines Stanwyck's career in relation to the directors she worked with and the genres she worked in, leading up to her late-career triumphs in two films directed by Douglas Sirk, All I Desire and There's Always Tomorrow, and two outrageous westerns, The Furies and Forty Guns. The book positions Stanwyck where she belongs-at the very top of her profession-and offers a close, sympathetic reading of her performances in all their range and complexity.
- Author BiographyDan Callahan, Brooklyn, New York, is an independent film scholar. His work has been published in Bright Lights Film Journal, Senses of Cinema, Slant Magazine, Film International, Time Out New York, and The L Magazine.
- Author(s)Dan Callahan
- PublisherUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Date of Publication28/02/2012
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Series TitleHollywood Legends Series
- Place of PublicationJackson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Content Note24 black & white photographs
- Weight558 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.15New
- AU $21.21New
- AU $24.85New
- AU $19.97New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.81New
- AU $11.56Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.52New
- AU $32.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.99
- AU $18.58Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.06
- AU $16.05Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.48
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.