All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
About this product
- DescriptionThe medieval borough of Barnard Castle was founded in the eleventh century. A hundred years later Bernard Baliol built a castle and a busy town began to thrive alongside it, with one of the largest corn markets in the North of England drawing custom from far and wide. This unique book charts the character and ownership of many of the commercial establishments in Barnard Castle from the 1800s to the present day and reveals the history behind the modern shopfronts. Barnard Castle Shops, Pubs & Trades Through Time is the first book to provide a door-to-door survey of the commercial development of this vibrant and varied town. In so doing it provides a unique, commercial and social history of one of Britain's most significant market towns. Today, as the high street faces ather challenge - this time from Internet shopping - it will be interesting to see how the current businesses adapt to face that test.
- Author BiographyPaul Chrystal is the author of more than twenty-five books and a broadcaster. He has appeared regularly on BBC local radio and the BBC World Service and writes features for national newspapers. His books cover a wide range of subjects from the history of chocolate to classical history. Recent titles include Women in Ancient Rome, 2013; Chocolate: The British Chocolate Industry, 2011; Fry & Cadbury Through Time, 2012; The History of Chocolate in York, 2012; The A-Z of York History, 2013; and The Rowntree Family, A Social History (2013). He is also the author of Barnard Castle & Teesdale Through Time published by Amberley in 2012. Carol has had a lifelong interest in local history and archaeology and since being a teenager has participated in excavations and digs - which she continues to do, being part of a long-term major dig at a medieval site in North Yorkshire. She is also involved with Altogether Archaeology projects and was part of a dig in Cumbria where a Bronze Age cremation was discovered. She has had articles published in Practical Family History 2007/2008, articles in several Family History Society Journals, was interviewed on Radio 4 as part on Making History (2009) relating to genealogical reseach. She created the historic town trail guided walk for Barnard Castle, produced by the TIC.
- Author(s)Carol Dougherty,Paul Chrystal
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/05/2013
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.