Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $45.58Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Baroque period stretched from the end of the 16th to the second half of the 17th century. In this book, 13 scholars develop a portrait of institutions, ideologies, intellectual themes and social structures as they are reflected in Baroque personae, or characteristic social roles. Studying the statesman, soldier, financier, secretary, rebel, preacher, missionary, nun, witch, scientist, artist and bourgeois, the essays depart dramatically from traditional accounts of this era. The statesman, for example, is seen here as the exact opposite of a benevolent man working for the common good; and the soldier is depicted as part of an institution that could be savage and destructive but that also, by the end of the Baroque age, helped shape a more rational relationship with the military and civil society.
- Author BiographyRosario Vallari teaches at La Sapienza University in Rome and is affiliated with the Institute for Advanced Study, the Newberry Library, and the University of Oxford.
- Author(s)Rosario Villari
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication16/10/1995
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note4 half-tones
- Weight510 g
- Width150 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Translated byLydia G. Cochrane
- Edition Statement2nd
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.