Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $136.47Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $88.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Rome to St. Petersburg, Portugal to Brazil, the Baroque was the first art movement to span t only countries but distant continents. This stunningly illustrated book takes us on a breathtaking pilgrimage through its endless variations over some two hundred years, beginning in the early seventeenth century. Readers are treated to such wonders as Bernini's intensely powerful sculptures and his immense colonnade on St. Peter's Square, imposing palace facades, painted ceilings, crucifixes, angels, demons, piazzas, villas, gardens, and more. Though once viewed in Europe as decadent compared to Renaissance art, the Baroque is seen today as the ultimate manifestation of a style that expanded the bounds of reality and engendered a culture of visualization, prefiguring the modern age. Combining Ferrante Ferranti's magnificent color photographs, many never before published, with Giovanni Careri's absorbing prose account of the Baroque in chapters arranged by theme, Baroques marks the first time the topic has been treated so comprehensively, going well beyond Italy as far as colonial Latin America. The materials used in Baroque churches, palaces, gardens, and cities were meant to dazzle-but they did much more. Whether marble, stucco, or gilded bronze, each in its own way captures the fleeting interplay between the overt splendor of fireworks and the secret, conceptual complexity of allegory. The Baroque is an art of passions and ecstasies, but it is also a political art: it conveys an image of power charged with new energy, an image that inspired awe, fear, and respect. Above all, it is a total art: painting, sculpture, and architecture come together in Baroques as a whole that invites the reader into its transforming universe.
- Author BiographyGiovanni Careri is Professor of the History and Theory of Art at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales and the Ecole des Beaux-Arts de Lyon. He is the author of Bernini: Flights of Love, the Art of Devotion . Ferrante Ferranti has been traveling the world as a professional photographer for many years. His books include Saint-Petersbourg, Errances solaires, and Mere Mediterranee.
- PrizesShortlisted for Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2004.
- Author(s)Giovanni Careri
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication22/09/2003
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note250 color plates.
- Weight2228 g
- Width280 mm
- Height330 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Photographs byFerrante Ferranti
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.