All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt may be America's game, but one seems to kw how or when baseball really started. Theories abound, myths proliferate, but reliable information has been in short supply-until w, when Baseball before We Knew It brings fresh new evidence of baseball's origins into play. David Block looks into the early history of the game and of the 150-year-old debate about its beginnings. He tackles one stubborn misconception after ather, debunking the enduring belief that baseball descended from the English game of rounders and revealing a surprising new explanation for the most torious myth of all-the Abner Doubleday-Cooperstown story. Block's book takes readers on an exhilarating journey through the centuries in search of clues to the evolution of our modern National Pastime. Among his startling discoveries is a set of long-forgotten baseball rules from the 1700s. Block evaluates the originality and historical significance of the Knickerbocker rules of 1845, revisits European studies on the ancestry of baseball which indicate that the game dates back hundreds, if t thousands of years, and assembles a detailed history of games and pastimes from the Middle Ages onward that contributed to baseball's development. In its thoroughness and reach, and its extensive descriptive bibliography of early baseball sources, this book is a unique and invaluable resource-a comprehensive, reliable, and readable account of baseball before it was America's game.
- Author BiographyDavid Block is a long-time collector of early baseball books and memorabilia, and is a passionate, lifelong fan of the game and its history.
- Author(s)David Block
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2006
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content NoteIllus., maps
- Weight431 g
- Width3564 mm
- Height5499 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Foreword byTim Wiles
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.