All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionAt the heart of this short introduction to category theory is the idea of a universal property, important throughout mathematics. After an introductory chapter giving the basic definitions, separate chapters explain three ways of expressing universal properties: via adjoint functors, representable functors, and limits. A final chapter ties all three together. The book is suitable for use in courses or for independent study. Assuming relatively little mathematical background, it is ideal for beginning graduate students or advanced undergraduates learning category theory for the first time. For each new categorical concept, a generous supply of examples is provided, taken from different parts of mathematics. At points where the leap in abstraction is particularly great (such as the Yoneda lemma), the reader will find careful and extensive explanations. Copious exercises are included.
- Author BiographyTom Leinster has held postdoctoral positions at Cambridge and the Institut des Hautes Etudes Scientifiques (France), and held an EPSRC Advanced Research Fellowship at the University of Glasgow. He is currently a Chancellor's Fellow at the University of Edinburgh. He is also the author of Higher Operads, Higher Categories (Cambridge University Press, 2004), and one of the hosts of the research blog, The n-Category Cafe.
- Author(s)Tom Leinster
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication24/07/2014
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics
- Series Part/Volume Number143
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note100 exercises
- Weight400 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.