All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionMedicinal chemistry is a complex topic. Written in an easy to follow and conversational style, Basic Concepts in Medicinal Chemistry focuses on the fundamental concepts that govern the discipline of medicinal chemistry as well as how and why these concepts are essential to therapeutic decisions. The book emphasizes functional group analysis and the basics of drug structure evaluation. In a systematic fashion, learn how to identify and evaluate the functional groups that comprise the structure of a drug molecule and their influences on solubility, absorption, acid/base character, binding interactions, and stereochemical orientation. Relevant Phase I and Phase II metabolic transformations are also discussed for each functional group. Key features include: Discussions on the roles and characteristics of organic functional groups, including the identification of acidic and basic functional groups; How to solve problems involving pH, pKa, and ionization; salts and solubility; drug binding interactions; stereochemistry; and drug metabolism; Numerous examples and expanded discussions for complex concepts; Therapeutic examples that link the importance of medicinal chemistry to pharmacy and healthcare practice; An overview of structure activity relationships (SARs) and concepts that govern drug design; Review questions and practice problems at the end of each chapter that allow readers to test their understanding, with the answers provided in an appendix. Whether you are just starting your education toward a career in a healthcare field or need to brush up on your organic chemistry concepts, this book is here to help you navigate medicinal chemistry.
- Author BiographyProfessor Marc W. Harrold, BS, Pharm, PhD, is Professor of Medicinal Chemistry at the Mylan School of Pharmacy, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Professor Harrold is the 2011 winner of the Omicron Delta Kappa Teacher of the Year award at Duquesne University. He is also a multi-year recipient of the TOPS (Teacher of the Pharmacy School) award at the Mylan School of Pharmacy. Robin M. Zavod, PhD, is Associate Professor for Pharmaceutical Sciences at the Chicago College of Pharmacy, Midwestern University, Downers Grove, IL, USA where she was awarded the 2012 Outstanding Faculty of the Year award. Professor Zavod also serves on the adjunct faculty for Elmhurst College and the Illinois Institute of Technology. She currently serves as Editor-in-Chief of the journal Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning.
- Author(s)Mark W. Harrold,Robin M. Zavod
- PublisherAmerican Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Date of Publication01/06/2012
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBethesda
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Content Noteblack & white tables, figures
- Weight816 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.