CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.50
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $20.65
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first book-length study in English of the Byzantine emperor Basil II. Basil II, later kwn as 'Bulgar-slayer', is famous for his military conquests and his brutal intimidation of domestic foes. Catherine Holmes considers the problems Basil faced in governing a large, multi-ethnic empire, which stretched from southern Italy to Mesopotamia. Her close focus on the surviving historical narratives, above all the Sypsis Historion of John Skylitzes, reveals a Byzantium governed as much by persuasion as coercion. This book will appeal to those interested in Byzantium before the Crusades, the governance of pre-modern empires, and the methodology of writing early medieval political history.
- Author BiographyCatherine Holmes is Tutor and Fellow in Medieval History, University College, University of Oxford.
- PrizesShortlisted for John D. Criticos Prize 2006 and Runciman Award 2006.
- Author(s)Catherine Holmes
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication24/11/2005
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleOxford Studies in Byzantium
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note4 maps
- Weight888 g
- Width146 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine39 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.