All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the first comprehensive treatment of the phological system of Basque available in English. Basque is a morphologically rich and fairly regular language with a number of active phological rules that are limited to certain morphological environments. In addition, it has a high degree of dialectical fragmentation. These characteristics of Basque make this language a good test ground to investigate the interaction of phological rules both with each other and with morphological processes, which the author does within the Lexical Phology framework. The effects of rule interaction on feature geometry are a major concern - how phological operations modify underlying structures and how the structures created by one phological rule can serve as input to other rules. These effects are examined in a study of the rather peculiar behaviour of Basque affricates. Ather area which requires particular attention, and in which Basque dialects differ widely, is prosody. Along with stress-accent systems of different types, Basque also possesses pitch-accent or restricted tonal systems in some of its western dialects. This book should be of interest to advanced students and teachers of linguistics, especially Romance linguistics and lexical phology.
- Author(s)Jose Ignacio Hualde
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/10/1991
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note12 speech-pattern diagrams, 1 map
- Weight453 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.