All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionBatik - in which a wax-resist is applied before dyeing to form a pattern in negative - has a very special place in the world of textiles. Practised from China to India to West Africa, it finds its most supreme expression in Indonesia, where the Javanese word batik gave it its name. No other cloth in Asia, perhaps in the whole world, contains so much symbolism and so many meanings, expressed in the philosophy of its colours and designs, and in the way it is made, folded and worn. Richly illustrated throughout, Batik explores in depth the origins of the batik tradition; regional differences; symbolism and motifs; modern influences on batik; and batik as costume and in art. An illustrated index of motifs and their meanings, a comprehensive listing of international batik collections, a glossary and a bibliography complete this authoritative yet accessible work.
- Author BiographyFiona Kerlogue studied at London University and at Dartington College of Arts, where she specialized in textiles. Batik was the subject of her doctoral studies at the Centre for South East Asian Studies at the University of Hull, where she was employed for a number of years as a lecturer. She is currently a Keeper at the Horniman Museum in London.
- Author(s)Fiona G. Kerlogue,Fulvio Zanettini,Tara Sosrowardoyo
- PublisherThames & Hudson Ltd
- Date of Publication11/10/2004
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThames & Hudson Ltd
- Content Note204 illustrations, 173 in colour
- Weight920 g
- Width210 mm
- Height275 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.