All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe 'battle for Beijing' is universally - and quite wrongly - believed to have been about opium. This book argues that it was about freedom to trade, Britain's demands for diplomatic equality, and French demands for religious freedom in China. Both countries agreed that their armies, which repeatedly prevailed over Chinese ones that were numerically superior, would stay out of Beijing itself, but were infuriated by China's imprisonment, torture and death of British, French and Indian negotiators. At the same time, the British and French also helped the empire to battle rebels and to pocket port and harbour dues. They steered carefully between their political and trading demands, and navigated the danger that undue stress would make China's fragile government and empire fall apart. If it did, there would be one to make any kind of agreement with; much of East Asia would be in chaos and Russian power would soon expand. Battle for Beijing, 1858-1860 offers fresh insights into the reasons behind the actions and strategies of British authorities, both at home and in China, and the British and French military commanders. It goes against the widely accepted views surrounding the Franco-British conflict, proposing a bold new argument and perspective.
- Author BiographyHarry Gelber has spent a number of years teaching and carrying out research at Monash University, Australia, the University of Melbourne, Australia, University of London, UK, Harvard University, USA, and Boston University, USA. He has published a number of books, most recently The Dragon and the Foreign Devils (2008).
- Author(s)Harry G. Gelber
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication17/09/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note1 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight467 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $53.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.