All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe paintings of Victor Ambrus are familiar to several generations. He has illustrated over 300 books on classical and historical subjects in his own instantly recognisable style. Over the years he has amassed what amounts to a visual record of the entire history of warfare, brought together here. With a concise text explaining the background to each battle scene, Battlefield Panoramas is a joy to browse through and will win a place on the shelves of all those with an interest in conflict - or simply a love of illustration. Beginning with the siege of Troy, the many scenes include Caesar's invasion of Britain; the Viking raid on Lindisfarne; Hastings; Agincourt; the Battle of Sedgemoor; the Siege of Athlone; the storming of the Bastille; Trafalgar; Waterloo; the Franco-Prussian War; the BEF in the First World War; the Normandy Landings; and the 1956 Hungarian uprising. The latter illustration takes on a particular power and resonance when you know that Victor was there.
- Author BiographyVictor Ambrus has won the prestigious Greenaway Gold Medal for Illustration twice, and the Royal Academy Drawing Prize. He is the author of Drawing Animals, Drawing on Archaeology, and How to Draw the Human Figure, and is the BBC Time Team artist.
- Author(s)Victor Ambrus
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2012
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations (chiefly col.)
- Weight839 g
- Width248 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.29Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.