All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn an attempt to respond to the needs of the country's poor, the Indian government launched an ambitious workfare scheme, the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) in 2005, which guaranteed hundred days of employment in unskilled manual labour at a minimum wage to every rural household each year. The book assesses the effectiveness of formal and informal mechanisms-political representation, community social audits, access to information, membership in networks, political competition-in reducing corrupt practices and enabling NREGA to reach its intended beneficiaries in Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, and Rajasthan. The book tests several intuitions and finds that, among other things, political representation for scheduled castes and tribes, and women has produced dividends in the form of higher participation and higher earnings in the scheme by these groups. Low access to information, on the other hand, has hindered the effective functioning of these mechanisms. Written in n-technical language, it is one of the few studies of its kind that blends ecometric and ethgraphic analyses towards a better understanding of the effective implementation of the scheme.
- Author BiographyShylashri Shankar is Senior Fellow, Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi. Raghav Gaiha is Retired Professor of Public Policy, Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi, Delhi.
- Author(s)Raghav Gaiha,Shylashri Shankar
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication19/09/2013
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight458 g
- Width147 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.