All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow new is atheism? Although adherents and opponents alike today present it as an invention of the European Enlightenment, when the forces of science and secularism broadly challenged those of faith, disbelief in the gods, in fact, originated in a far more remote past. In Battling the Gods, Tim Whitmarsh journeys into the ancient Mediterranean, a world almost unimaginably different from our own, to recover the stories and voices of those who first refused the divinities.Whitmarsh provides a bracing antidote to our assumptions about the roots of freethinking. By shining a light on atheism s first thousand years, Battling the Gods offers a timely reminder that nbelief has a wealth of tradition of its own, and, indeed, its own heroes.
- Author BiographyTIM WHITMARSHis currently the A. G. Leventis Professor of Greek Culture at the University of Cambridge. He has published widely on ancient prose fiction, including Narrative and Identity in the Ancient Greek Novel: Returning Romance, and edited The Cambridge Companion to the Greek and Roman Novel.
- Author(s)Reader in Greek Literature Tim Whitmarsh
- Date of Publication18/10/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAncient History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight227 g
- Width132 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $27.94
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.