All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSouth African beadwork has a rich and diverse history and is abundantly represented in the beaded art pieces in the Wits Art Museum (WAM) collection. some works date back to the 4th century C.e but most date from the 19th to the 21st centuries. Currently numbering over 9 000 items, the three major collecting areas of classical, historical and contemporary African artworks are broad in their geographical range and deep in some local areas of specialisation. Paying homage to this collection, Beadwork, Art and the Body is a compilation of essays by scholars who have researched and written about the traditions, practices and aesthetic forms of beadwork in southern Africa. the book covers an expansive history of beadwork in south Africa from the 19th century to the contemporary moment. the artists and the beadwork featured range from sotho-, tsonga-, Xhosa- and Zulu-speakers, ending with a focus on fashion designer Laduma ngxokolo, whose work has been inspired by Xhosa beadwork. Questions of ethnic affi liation and beadwork patterns are explored in relation to the different aesthetic forms of beadwork and its use as a marker of identity and status within and beyond communities.
- Author BiographyAnitra Nettleton is the chair and director of the Centre for creative arts of Africa at the Wits art museum at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. She is the author of African dream machines: Style, identity and meaning of African headrests (2007).
- Author(s)Anitra Nettleton
- PublisherWits University Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2015
- SubjectHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Place of PublicationJohannesburg
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintWits University Press
- Content NoteFull colour with illustrations
- Weight525 g
- Width200 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $22.76Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.