All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe problem with this book, you're probably thinking, is that it's only half-complete. Both individually and collectively, John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett did indeed endure an eventful career through the 1970s, but they've enjoyed even more eventful ones since then, and are still on the top of their game (whatever that may be) today. Writing a book about Otway-Barrett that ends in 1979 is like... like... like writing a book about the Beatles that ends in 1963. Or would it? What if that book was actually written in 1979, at a time when true pop stardom still seemed to be in reach, and then abandoned, forgotten, tucked away in a folder, and only rediscovered by utter chance, when its author, close to 30 years older than when it was written, was looking for something else entirely? That would be Beatback, a book that traces John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett from their earliest musical (or otherwise) strivings, through to the release of John's Where Did I Go Right? and Willy's Call Of The Wild... a time when Cor Baby, That's Really Free was still only 18 months old, and Any Moment Now, that great golden bird was going to swoop down and transport Otway, at least, to Las Vegas and beyond. Today, we begrudgingly ackwledge that might t be so likely any more, and the Otway stories that are told today dwell on his career as an object lesson in how NOT to make it. Beatback was written, with John and Willy's full co-operation, before history was rewritten, and it emerges all the more incredible for it.
- Author BiographyDave Thompson is the author of over 100 books on rock and pop culture, including best selling biographies of David Bowie, Kurt Cobain, Cream and Depeche Mode.
- Author(s)Dave Thompson
- Date of Publication21/10/2009
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.