All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $169.12
- AU $36.20Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $15.16Trending at AU $23.79
- AU $33.79Trending at AU $49.82
- AU $24.46Trending at AU $29.63
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $6.52
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $19.05
About this product
- DescriptionThe final vel from Carnegie Medal-winning author Mal Peet is a sweeping coming-of-age adventure, with all the characteristic beauty and strenth of his prose. Both harrowing and life-affirming, the final vel from Carnegie Medal-winning author Mal Peet is the sweeping coming-of-age adventure of a mixed race boy transported to North America. Born from a street liaison between a poor young woman and an African soldier in the 1900s, Beck is soon orphaned and sent to the Catholic Brothers in Canada. Shipped to work on a farm, his escape takes him across the continent in a search for belonging. Enduring abuse and many hardships, Beck has times of comfort and encouragement, eventually finding Grace, the woman with whom he can finally forge his life and shape his destiny as a young man. A picaresque vel set during the Depression as experienced by a young black man, it depicts great pain but has an uplifting and inspiring conclusion.
- Author BiographyMal Peet's first novel, Keeper, won the Branford Boase Award and the Bronze Nestle Children's Book Prize; Tamar won the Carnegie Medal; and Exposure was the winner of the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize. A writer and illustrator, Mal produced many books for children throughout his lifetime, most of them in collaboration with his wife, Elspeth Graham. He also wrote a critically acclaimed adult novel, The Murdstone Trilogy. Meg Rosoff is the award-winning author of How I Live Now, which won the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize and the Branford Boase Award. Her second novel, Just in Case, won the Carnegie Medal and her other books include Picture Me Gone and Jonathan Unleashed, her first novel for adults. She is the winner of the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award. Meg lives in London and you can follow her on Twitter @megrosoff.
- Author(s)Mal Peet,Meg Rosoff
- PublisherWalker Books Ltd
- Date of Publication18/08/2016
- SubjectYoung Adult Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWalker Books Ltd
- Weight412 g
- Width144 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.