All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
About this product
- DescriptionWaiting for Godot is a byword in every major world language. No other twentieth-century play has achieved such global currency. His invations have affected t only the writing of plays, but all aspects of their staging. In this book David Bradby explores the impact of the play and its influence on acting, directing, design, and the role of theatre in society. Bradby begins with an analysis of the play and its historical context. After discussing the first productions in France, Britain and America, he examines subsequent productions in Africa, Eastern Europe, Israel, America, China and Japan. The book assesses interpretations by actors such as Bert Lahr, David Warrilow, Georges Wilson, Barry McGovern and Ben Kingsley, and directors Roger Blin, Susan Sontag, Sir Peter Hall, Luc Bondy, Yukio Ninagawa and Beckett himself. It also contains an extensive production chrology, bibliography and illustrations from major productions.
- Author BiographyDavid Bradby is Professor of Drama and Theatre Studies and Dean of Arts at Royal Holloway, University of London. Awarded the Chevalier des Arts et Lettres (Republique Francaise) in 1997. He is a leading expert in the areas of modern theatre, especially French drama. He has translated plays by Bernard-Marie Koltes and Michel Vinaver and directed many productions with student casts, including the first English-language production of Pirandello's The Mountain Giants. His books include Mise en Scene: French Theatre Now, co-authored with Annie Sparks (Methuen, 1997); The Theatre of Michel Vinaver (Michigan University Press, 1993), Modern French Drama, 1940-1990 (Cambridge, 1991) and Director's Theatre, co-authored with David Williams (Macmillan, 1988). David Bradby is General Editor of the series Cambridge Studies in Modern Theatre.
- Author(s)David Bradby,Samuel Beckett
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2001
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Series TitlePlays in Production
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note12 b/w illus.
- Weight350 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.