All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBeckhampton celebrates the kaleidoscope of men, money and horses linked to one of Britain's oldest and greatest racing stables: Beckhampton, on the Wiltshire downs. The story reveals how an isolated coaching inn morphed into a top training yard, home to some 40 Classic winners. The cast of characters roam from the magistrate who sat in judgement on his own prosecution for disorderly behaviour, to the undergraduate who arrived at university with a string of horses and 2,000 bottles of port; from the jockey who was commandeered by Lord Palmerston to ride to a Channel port to collect a peace treaty, to the champion wrestler who became a gin baron and the owner of Classic-winning racehorses. Add Royalty and household names like Sir Gordon Richards, the 26-times champion jockey, and you have a brilliantly-researched book to delight anyone with an interest in the Sport of Kings.
- Author BiographyPaul Mathieu has visited every racecourse in Britain and was one of the early-morning team who supplied the commentary for 'Wogan's Winner' on Radio Two. His other racing book's are The Masters of Manton and The Druid's Lodge Confederacy.
- Author(s)Paul Mathieu
- PublisherRaceform Ltd
- Date of Publication16/10/2015
- SubjectEquestrian & Animal Sports
- Place of PublicationNewbury
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRacing Post
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $203.71
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.93
- AU $64.77Trending at AU $69.55
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $79.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.