All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBecoming Elektra tells the incredible true story of the pioneering Elektra Records label and its far-sighted founder, Jac Holzman, who built a small folk imprint into a home for some of the most groundbreaking, important, and enduring music of the rock era. Placing the Elektra label in a broader context, the book presents a gripping narrative of musical and cultural history that reads like an inventory of all that is exciting and invative about the 60s and 70s: The Doors, Love s Forever Changes, Tim Buckley s Goodbye and Hello, The Stooges, The MC5 s Kick Out The Jams, Queen and Queen II, The Incredible String Band, Carly Simon s No Secrets, and many, many more. First published in 2010, Becoming Elektra was praised as 'eye-opening (Q) and a 'dazzling narrative (The Sun), and for 'perfectly encapsulating the enigmatic, unpredictable spirit of the label (Record Collector). This fully revised and expanded edition includes a brand new foreword by John Densmore of The Doors and draws on extensive new interviews with a wide range of Elektra alumni, including Tom Paley, Judy Henske, Johnny Echols, Jean Ritchie, and Bernie Krause, as well as further conversations with Holzman himself. It also adds two new chapters: a look at Elektra in Britain in the 60s and a reappraisal of the label s 70s output.
- Author BiographyMick Houghton is a music publicist and journalist who bought his first Elektra LP in 1966. Since 1979, he has looked after the Ramones, Talking Heads, Undertones, Echo and The Bunnymen, Julian Cope, Sonic Youth, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The KLF, Spiritualized, XTC, Bert Jansch, and Richard Thompson, among many others. He is the author of the acclaimed I ve Always Kept A Unicorn: The Biography Of Sandy Denny (2015), and his writing has appeared in Let It Rock, Circus, ZigZag, Sounds, Time Out, Mojo, and Uncut. He also wrote the book included with the Grammy-nominated Forever Changing: The Golden Age of Elektra 1963 1973 boxed set. John Densmore is a musician and songwriter best known as the drummer in The Doors. He is the author of the bestselling autobiography Riders On The Storm (1990) and The Doors: Unhinged (2013).
- Author(s)John Densmore,Mike Houghton
- PublisherOutline Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/11/2016
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note200 colour and black and white
- Width150 mm
- Height215 mm
- Edition StatementRevised and Expanded Edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.