All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere are approximately eleven million undocumented people living in the United States, and most of them have family members who are U.S. citizens. There is a common perception that marriage to a U.S. citizen puts undocumented immigrants on a quick-and-easy path to U.S. citizenship. But for people who have entered the U.S. unlawfully and live here without papers, the line to legal status is neither short r easy, even for those with spouses who are U.S. citizens. Becoming Legal: Immigration Law and Mixed Status Families follows mixed status couples down the long and bumpy road of immigration processing. It explores how they navigate every step along the way, from the decision to undertake legalization, to the immigration interview in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, to the effort to put together a case of extreme hardship so that the undocumented family member can return. Author Ruth Gomberg-Muz also discusses families' efforts to rebuild their lives in the aftermath of immigration processing--both for those who are successful and those who are t.
- Author BiographyRuth Gomberg-Munoz is Assistant Professor of Anthropology at Loyola University Chicago. Her work has been published in American Ethnologist, American Anthropologist, Human Organization, and other journals. She is the author of Labor and Legality: An Ethnography of a Mexican Immigrant Network (OUP, 2010).
- Author(s)Assistant Professor Ruth Gomberg-Munoz
- PublisherOxford University Press, USA
- Date of Publication03/06/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press, USA
- Weight272 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.76
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.25
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.