All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGeorge Herbert Mead is a foundational figure in sociology, best kwn for his book Mind, Self, and Society, which was put together after his death from course tes taken by stegraphers and students and from unpublished manuscripts. Mead, however, never taught a course primarily housed in a sociology department, and he wrote about a wide variety of topics far outside of the concerns for which he is predominantly remembered-including experimental and comparative psychology, the history of science, and relativity theory. In short, he is kwn in a discipline in which he did t teach for a book he did t write. In Becoming Mead, Daniel R. Huebner traces the ways in which kwledge has been produced by and about the famed American philosopher. Instead of treating Mead's problematic reputation as a separate topic of study from his intellectual biography, Huebner considers both biography and reputation as social processes of kwledge production. He uses Mead as a case study and provides fresh new answers to critical questions in the social sciences, such as how authors come to be considered canical in particular disciplines, how academics understand and use others' works in their research, and how claims to authority and kwledge are made in scholarship. Becoming Mead provides a vel take on the history of sociology, placing it in critical dialogue with cultural sociology and the sociology of kwledge and intellectuals.
- Author BiographyDaniel R. Huebner is assistant professor of sociology at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
- Author(s)Daniel R. Huebner
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication14/10/2014
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note2 halftones, 3 line drawings
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $19.30Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.