All listings for this product
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $27.07
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.36
- AU $11.42Trending at AU $14.09
- AU $18.79Trending at AU $25.48
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.35
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $38.30
About this product
- DescriptionIn this audiobook edition of Becoming Wise, the voices of more than forty beloved guests of On Being are interwoven with Krista Tippett's reading in a deeply personal mode. I m a person who listens for a living. I listen for wisdom, and beauty, and for voices t shouting to be heard. This book chronicles some of what I ve learned in what has become a conversation across time and generations, across disciplines and deminations. Peabody Award-winning broadcaster and National Humanities Medalist Krista Tippett has interviewed the most extraordinary voices examining the great questions of meaning for our time. The heart of her work on her national public radio program and podcast, On Being, has been to shine a light on people whose insights kindle in us a sense of wonder and courage. Scientists in a variety of fields; theologians from an array of faiths; poets, activists, and many others have all opened themselves up to Tippett's compassionate yet searching conversation. InBecoming Wise, Tippett distills the insights she has gleaned from this lumius conversation in its many dimensions into a coherent narrative journey, over time and from mind to mind. The book is a master class in living, curated by Tippett and accompanied by a delightfully ecumenical dream team of teaching faculty. The open questions and challenges of our time are intimate and civilizational all at once, Tippett says definitions of when life begins and when death happens, of the meaning of community and family and identity, of our relationships to techlogy and through techlogy. The wisdom we seek emerges through the raw materials of the everyday. And the enduring question of what it means to be human has w become inextricable from the question of who we are to each other. This book offers a grounded and fiercely hopeful vision of humanity for this century of personal growth but also renewed public life and human spiritual evolution. It insists on the possibility of a common life for this century marked by resilience and redemption, with beauty as a core moral value and civility and love as muscular practice. Krista Tippett's great gift, in her work and inBecoming Wise, is to avoid reductive simplifications but still find the golden threads that weave people and ideas together into a shimmering braid. One powerful common deminator of the lessons imparted to Tippett is the gift of presence, of the exhilaration of engagement with life for its own sake, t as a means to an end. But presence does t mean passivity or acceptance of the status quo. Indeed Tippett and her teachers are people whose work meets, and often drives, powerful forces of change alive in the world today. In the end, perhaps the greatest blessing conveyed by the lessons of spiritual genius Tippett harvests inBecoming Wiseis the strength to meet the world where it really is, and then to make it better.
- Author BiographyKrista Tippett is a Peabody Award-winning broadcaster and New York Times bestselling author. In 2014, she received the National Humanities Medal at the White House for thoughtfully delving into the mysteries of human existence. She is the host of the public radio program and podcast On Being. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Krista Tippett
- PublisherPenguin Audiobooks
- Date of Publication05/04/2016
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Audiobooks
- Weight181 g
- Width130 mm
- Height147 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Read byKrista Tippett
- Contained items statement8 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time600
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.