All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHe grew up in a small town in New England in the 1950's, watching lassie, going to church, getting straight A's at school, a scholar destined for success. But he already had a secret, and his public life with family and friends was already a constant round of ventriloquism as he played the joker and pretended to be the same as everyone else. For Paul Monette was gay. BECOMING A MAN is about growing up gay, and about the tyranny and self denial of the closet - one man's struggle, for half his life, to come out. From the white-bread 1950's through the rebellious 1960's to the self-creating 1970's and beyond, it forms a passionately honest and unsparing account of the tortures of living a lie, a naked protrait of one man's fight for freedom in a time of igrance and bigotry.
- Author BiographyPaul Monette was the author of six novels and three colections of poems. Becoming a Man was the 1992 National Book Award for non-fiction. He died in February 1995.
- PrizesWinner of United States National Book Awards: Nonfiction 1992.
- Author(s)Judy Hindley,Paul Monette
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication19/05/1994
- SubjectBiography: General
- Series TitleTime Travellers
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight204 g
- Width132 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Illustrator(s)Toni Goffe
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
- Educational LevelUK School Key Stage 2
- Reading AgeFrom 7 To 99
- Interest AgeFrom 6 To 10
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.