Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.49
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of the Prix Quai du Polar, Antoin Varenne is a rising star in the exciting new wave of French crime fiction. Hard-boiled Paris police lieutenant Richard Guerin thought he knew the depths of human tragedy and perversion during his years investigating suicide cases--t to mention his childhood, raised by his prostitute mother (who left him thing but her foul-mouthed parrot). But when a slew of cases that are way too bizarre to be straightforward suicides end up on his desk, Guerin begins to suspect that he is up against a nihilistic evil beyond anything he's encountered before. First, there is Alan Musgrave, an American man who bleeds himself to death on stage during a sick S&M show in an underground Paris nightclub. Ather runs naked into traffic with arms outstretched and is splattered to pulp by a heavy truck. Yet ather hurls himself from a museum balcony to death by impalement on a whale skeleton. Guerin's corrupt police colleagues ridicule his determination to find the connections between these horrifying deaths. Yet he presses on, plunging into the seamy sadomasochistic underbelly of the City of Lights that most never see. Unexpected help comes from a friend of Musgrave's, an eccentric and resourceful rich American named John Nichols who has recently arrived in Paris toting a bow and arrows. The bloody trail leads them to the upper reaches of both the Parisian police force and the American embassy, while Guerin begins to suspect that the ultimate answer may lie somewhere in Nichols's past. In Bed of Nails, Varenne does for Paris what James Ellroy did for vintage Los Angeles: He expertly throws a bright light on a fashionable city's hideous hidden face.
- Author BiographyABOUT THE AUTHOR: Antonin Varenne has travelled a great deal and completed an MA in philosophy before embarking on a career as a writer. Bed of Nails is the first of a new series of crime novels set in the Paris underworld. ABOUT THE TRANSLATOR: Sian Reynolds is the translator of Fernand Braudel, and of CWA award-winning crime novels by Fred Vargas.
- Author(s)Antonin Varenne
- PublisherMaclehose Press Quercus
- Date of Publication06/10/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMaclehose Press Quercus
- Weight295 g
- Width135 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.