Beethoven's Compositional Process by University of Nebraska Press (Hardback, 1991)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $79.95Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $77.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFresh perspectives on the symphonies and pia concertos of Ludwig van Beethoven are offered in the inaugural volume of North American Beethoven Studies . To be published under the joint auspices of the University of Nebraska Press and the Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies, the volumes in the new series will focus on the life and work, milieu and influence of the great composer. The first volume, edited by the ted music scholar and pianist William Kinderman, brings together recent studies by leading scholars on Beethoven's major orchestral, including the first two pia concertos, the Egmont overture, the Missa Solemnis, and several of the symphonies, especially the Third, Fifth, and Ninth. They devote special attention to Beethoven's creative process by analyzing, in some instances closely for the first time, his numerous surviving musical sketchbooks and loose sketch-leaves. The issues dealt with include Beethoven's reinterpretation of the composition models of Haydn and Mozart, his working methods in composition, the structural expansion of his symphonic forms, the design of variation movements in his symphonies, and Beethoven's musical symbolism. Four introductory essays probe the relation between Beethoven's sketches and the analysis of his finished works; it is a fascinating and controversial undertaking. The first volume of North American Beethoven Studies illuminates critical issues and challenges traditional interpretations of some of Beethoven's most celebrated works while avoiding the narrow specialization of some recent scholarship. Future volumes will focus on performance practices, composition, and recording history.
- Author BiographyWilliam Kinderman, professor of music at the University of Victoria, is the author of Beethoven's Diabelli Variations (1987) and of numerous essays on music from Mozart to Wagner. The contributors are Geoffrey Block of the University of Puget Sound; William E. Caplin, McGill University; Barry Cooper, Manchester University; William Drabkin, University of Southampton; Richard Kramer, SUNY at Stony Brook; Lewis Lockwood, Harvard University; William Meredith, San Jose State University; and Kinderman.
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/06/1991
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleNorth American Beethoven Studies
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Out-of-print date04/05/2010
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight626 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Edited byWilliam Kinderman
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.45Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.