Before the First Shots Are Fired: How America Can Win or Lose Off the Battlefield by General Tony Zinni, Tony Koltz (Hardback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $31.94Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $7.30+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor the better part of the last half century, the United States has been the World's Police, claiming to defend ideologies, allies, and our national security through brute force. But is military action always the most appropriate response? Drawing on his vast experience, from combat in Vietnam to peacekeeping in Somalia, to war games in Washington, DC and negotiations with former rebels in the Philippines, retired four-star General Tony Zinni argues that we have a lot of work to do to make the process of going to war or t more clear-eyed and ultimately successful. He examines the relationship between the executive and the military (including the difference between passive and engaged presidents); the failures of the Joint Chief of Staff; the challenges of working with the UN, coalition forces, and NATO; the difference between young, on the ground officers and less savvy senior leaders; the role of special forces and drone warfare; and the difficult choices that need to be made to create tomorrow's military. Among his provocative points: * Virtually every recent American military operation follows a disconnected series of actions that lead to outcomes we never foresaw or intended.* We need to assign accountability for the political decisions that can make or break a mission.* Words and ideas are as important to victory in today's conflicts as bullets.* The cyber war is ongoing. Either you must build better tech than the other guy, or you must steal it.* Our foreign aid budget is pitiful, our State Department, USAID, and the other government agencies that we critically need to be on a par with our military are underfunded, undermanned, and poorly structured for their current objectives.From the Oval Office to the battlefield, Before the First Shots Are Fired is a hard-hitting analysis of the history of America's use of military action and a spirited call for change.
- Author BiographyGeneral Tony Zinni (retired) was commander-in-chief of CENTCOM and special envoy to the Middle East before retiring as a four-star general. He has appeared on The Daily Show and Meet the Press, among others. He is the author of The Battle for Peace and Leading the Charge. He lives in Williamsburg, Virginia.Tony Koltz co-authored Colin Powell's bestselling It Worked For Me ; many Tom Clancy nonfiction bestsellers, including Every Man A Tiger, Shadow Warriors, and Battle Ready; General Tony Zinni's memoirs ; as well as The Battle for Peace. He lives in New York City.
- Author(s)General Tony Zinni,Tony Koltz
- PublisherPalgrave MacMillan Trade
- Date of Publication02/09/2014
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPalgrave MacMillan Trade
- Weight431 g
- Width163 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.