All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe frequent inconsistencies in Shakespeare's work, particularly in plot and characterization, have long attracted the attention and even ire of his commentators. Based largely on four plays - Hamlet, Measure for Measure, The Winter's Tale and Henry V - this study is a detailed exploration of some modes of discrepancy as they relate to three specific areas of Shakespeare's dramaturgy: plot and narrative; language and text; and reasoning and proof. Professor Thatcher examines the nature and causes of real and apparent inconsistencies and suggests whether or t they may be seen to have artistic or dramatic justification. Begging to Differ includes the first comprehensive treatment of a neglected topic, discrepant quotations within Shakespeare's text.
- Author BiographyThe Author: David Thatcher is Professor of English at the University of Victoria, British Columbia. He has published widely on Nietzsche, Shakespeare, and other authors. In addition, Professor Thatcher has coedited catalogues of musical settings of romantic, Victorian, and modern British literature, as well as the acclaimed five-volumes, A Shakespeare Music Catalogue. He received his Ph.D. in English Literature from the University of Alberta.
- Author(s)David Thatcher
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/1999
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Series TitleStudies in Shakespeare
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1999
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight580 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.