All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $36.19Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $15.16Trending at AU $23.79
- AU $33.79Trending at AU $49.82
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $6.52
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $19.05
- AU $10.90Trending at AU $17.96
- AU $12.64Trending at AU $17.63
About this product
- DescriptionBuckle up for true stories of the chiefs, strongmen, and outlaws who kept the peace. Where did the concept of policing originate? Who fought crime in ancient civilizations like those of Greece and Rome? How did the monarchs of the Middle Ages keep the countryside free of bandits? Why were the frontier towns of the American West policed by gunfighters? The truth will surprise you! In parts of the prehistoric world, young warriors took turns enforcing community laws. During the Ottoman Empire, the sultan's police acted as spies, bodyguards, executioners, and even gardeners. In China, officials called prefects kept order with the aid of retired soldiers. In Amsterdam during the 1600s, citizens worked the night watch to keep the streets virtually crime-free. Deplorable conditions in the slums surrounding Rio de Janeiro in the 1980s and 90s gave rise to gangs of vigilante death squads, which included some police officers. With text that moves at the speed of a Hollywood car chase, and full- color artwork that provides a you-were-there picture of events from ancient times to the modern era, Behind the Badge vividly captures the varied and unexpected roles police have played over time.
- Author BiographyEd Butts has written more than a dozen books for readers of all ages. His most recent title is Bodyguards! He lives in Guelph, Ontario. Gareth Williams is the illustrator of Outlaws, Spies, and Gangsters, as well as the Red Maple Award-shortlisted The Adventures of Medical Man. He lives in South Africa.
- Author(s)Ed Butts
- PublisherAnnick Press Ltd
- Date of Publication11/09/2014
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Literature, Arts & Humanities
- Place of PublicationOntario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintAnnick Press Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight357 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Illustrator(s)Gareth Williams
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Picture book
- Interest AgeFrom 9
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.