All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA vel of stunning power, romance and set in a milieu that evoked women of power to enter a world of great challenge, competing against the politics of male dominance. It is the humanity and compassion that the protagonist, Gertrude Stiernfeld so well demonstrated that ultimately lead to the great successes in her business career. However, a young woman has many dreams, especially dreams of falling in love. And so it was that something precious and mystical happened that was captured in the brevity after meeting her beloved Bernardt; he inspired her to live her dream. She opened her first business in the sought-after market of Women's Couture, at first specializing in the corsetiere industry. A market that had been dominated by England and France during that time. But most table and sensual are the romance and passionate feelings depicted as she experiences the ecstasy of her sexuality, described with such intensity and vigor. Later through trials and tribulations in her personal life and career she ventures into the world of fashion design and thus becomes rewn for her exotic and famous evening, day and slack couture for women. But life deals her many a blow as tragedy and heartsore enters a time in her life when she least expected it. We learn about her mother's story during this time as she brings Gertrude around to move forward and treasure the moments of sanctity that she shared with her loved one. We relive and envision the beautiful places she visited, her deep love for her companions and the struggles of the Second World War. Her creativity during this time to stay afloat and her sagacity in managing her portfolio of assets are to be admired. We live through vignettes of history during that period of time and are reminded of a war that almost brought the world to its knees through the dominance of a calculating dictator and his allies. Due to loyalty and compassion she entangles herself in a task of great humility to help her loved one. She learns from her friend, Abigail the meaning of true love and forgiveness. Throughout, the elephant in the room remains, her love for a glass of wine. And the struggle within to mask her pain. We are also introduced to other table characters that play an important role in her life, like Emma and Jack, two doctors that go to great lengths to save the ill and comfort the poor. And then there's William, one of my favorite characters. The conclusion is very touching and certainly deepens the tale of a woman that aspired to greatness and yet did t manage the escape of tragedy. A story well-told with ardor and delight of a time and era to be treasured. And a story of a woman who struggles for full equality and dignity in a society that denied so many women their rights.
- Author BiographyTRUDE ADRIAAN - AUTHOR After graduating with a major in English & Spanish, Trude Adriaan taught for many years in S.Africa & Europe. She immigrated to the USA and furthered her studies in Interior Design, which she practiced for 20 years. During this time she was also the proud owner of a 5 star restaurant. Her passion for traveling and writing produced her first novel, A South Pacific Love Story. She is at present teaching in Virginia. JOANNE HERMAN - AUTHOR Joanne Herman is a commercial artist who graduated from the School of Visual Arts in NYC. Deciding she had stories too special not to share, she added author to her bucket list. A lifetime resident of the Hamptons until five years ago Jo and her husband Robert moved to the Eastern Shore of Maryland where they sculpt, paint, fish, garden and entertain family and friends.
- Author(s)Trude Adriaan
- Date of Publication14/08/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRomance & Sagas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight354 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.13
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.06
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $52.03Trending at AU $61.25
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.