Behind those care home doors: How to avoid care professionals with their eyes wide shut by Adeline Dalley (Paperback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.93Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Descriptionow do you choose a care home for a relative or friend? The care home may look perfect in the brochure, but is that a true reflection of what it's like to live there? Can the manager's claims be trusted? Written by an insider who's worked in care for sixteen years, this book will show you how to tell if all is really as it seems. Are the home's residents looked upon as people, or just as money generators? Will your mum be allowed something to drink in the evening, or will she be left thirsty just so that she won't need the lavatory in the night? This is a book for anyone with a relative or friend in residential care. It's also a book for current and future residents and the carers who look after them. 'Behind those care home doors' will show you what to really look for in a care home and how to check the standards of care provided and what to do if things go wrong. The author describes her front line experiences of abusive behaviours and harrowing standards of care, often from senior staff. She questions why carers who have the most contact with patients are frequently igred when they raise concerns. Typical care home fees are equal to a staying in a good hotel with a private nurse and yet many homes are cutting staff to inappropriate levels. The author describes working in a care home with fees in excess of GBP900 per week and a menu promising smoked mackerel pate, homemade crusty bread and salad while the staff were obliged to serve muffin and chips, fish fingers and spaghetti hoops, out of date food, and mean portions. If you're contemplating working in a care home 'Behind those care home doors' will give you an insight and help you to decide whether care is the right career for you physically and emotionally. This book would also make valuable reading for care home managers and owners who may be finding the day to day pressures within their organisation are leading to decisions they kw to be wrong.
- Author BiographyAdeline Dalley worked for 16 years as a senior carer in more than 8 homes before she found one that shared her passion for high standards. She has seen too many homes with glossy brochures and reassuring but meaningless words from care managers. She hopes that her book will help to promote the highest standards of care for the elderly and where appropriate encourage carers not to be intimidated and to speak up about abuses.
- Author(s)Adeline Dalley
- PublisherThe Choir Press
- Date of Publication31/01/2014
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationGloucester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Choir Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight145 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.