All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionThe Norton Edition of this widely praised collection brings the best writings in the humanities to a college audience. Each chapter presents a question or topic central to the human experience, among them The Search for Perfection, Are We Our Bodies?, Vulnerability and Suffering, and Human Dignity. To guide students as they read these influential works, every selection is prefaced by a concise headte and thoughtful discussion questions. How shall we promote and protect human flourishing in a world of ever-emerging techlogies? At what point should we limit our quest for physical and mental perfection? Drawing on the insights of great thinkers throughout the ages, Being Human: Core Readings in the Humanities can help give readers a solid understanding of what it means to be human, both in the past and into the future. College courses, from Humanities to Bioethics to Freshman Composition, will benefit from this important collection.
- Author BiographyLeon R. Kass, M.D., Ph.D., is the Addie Clark Harding Professor in the Committee on Social Thought and the College at the University of Chicago (on leave of absence) and Hertog Fellow in Social Thought at the American Enterprise Institute. In 2001, President George W. Bush appointed Dr. Kass chairman of the President's Council on Bioethics. His widely reprinted essays in biomedical ethics have dealt with issues raised by in vitro fertilization, cloning, genetic screening and genetic technology, organ transplantation, aging research, euthanasia and assisted suicide, and the moral nature of the medical profession.
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication10/05/2005
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight770 g
- Width155 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byLeon R. Kass
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.