All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
About this product
- DescriptionIn this reflective yet practical book, the author challenges white helping professionals to recognize their own cultural identity and the impact it has when practising in a multicultural environment. Judy Ryde reveals how white people have implicit and explicit advantages and privileges that often go unticed by them. She suggests that in order to work effectively in a multicultural setting, this privilege needs to be fully ackwledged and confronted. She explores whether it is possible to talk about a white identity, addresses uncomfortable feelings such as guilt or shame, and offers advice on how to implement white awareness training within an organization. Ryde offers a model for 'white awareness' in a diverse society and provides concrete examples from her own experience. This book is essential reading for students and practitioners in the helping professions, including social workers, psychotherapists, psychologists, counsellors, healthcare workers, occupational therapists and alternative health practitioners.
- Author BiographyJudy Ryde PhD is a freelance psychotherapist, supervisor and trainer of 25 years' experience. She provides supervision training across the helping professions within the Centre for Supervision and Team Development. Judy also supervises the BCPC Asylum Project which provides counselling and psychotherapy for asylum seekers and refugees, and was a co-founder of Psychotherapists and Counsellors for Social Responsibility.
- Author(s)Judy Ryde
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication15/01/2009
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight308 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Foreword byColin Lago
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.