All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn recent years, the potential health benefits of fermented and functional foods have made them increasingly popular among consumers. A complete overview of the physiology and functional aspects of microbes present in fermented foods and used as functional foods, Beneficial Microbes in Fermented and Functional Foods explores recent advances and progress made in developing fermented and functional foods using molecular biology techniques. With contributions from international experts, the book explores advances in food techlogy with the prospective applications of microorganisms and their metabolites that can increase opportunities to develop natural substances as food and food ingredients in fermented and functional foods. Divided into four sections and containing 30 chapters, the book takes an in-depth look at the role of microbes and their diversity in traditional and modern fermented and functional foods. It also examines the interaction between the different microflora present in fermented food products, development of starter cultures to improve the nutritional and sensory quality of fermented foods, and factors and processes affecting the safety of various fermented foods. The text then covers application of microbes present in fermented foods and used as functional foods-probiotics, prebiotics, and synbiotics. It explains the different bacteria and strains used as probiotics, their interaction with the other intestinal flora in the host, the health benefits conferred by them, and risks associated with their consumption. The focus on progress and challenges in the techlogy development of probiotics, prebiotics, and synbiotic preparation makes this book especially useful. The complete and comprehensive overview of the physiology and functional aspects of the microbes present in fermented foods and used as fermented foods gives you a firm foundation for future research and development of new products and uses.
- Author BiographyV Ravishankar Rai earned his MSc and PhD from the University of Mysore, India. Currently, Dr. Rai is working as a professor in the Department of Studies in Microbiology, University of Mysore, India. He was awarded a fellowship from the UNESCO Biotechnology Action Council, Paris (1996), the Indo-Israel Cultural Exchange Fellowship (1998), the Biotechnology Overseas Fellowship, Government of India (2008), and the Indo-Hungarian Exchange Fellowship (2011). He has been invited by Academia Sinica, Taiwan, as a visiting fellow (2010). Recently, Dr. Rai edited a book, Biotechnology: Concepts and Applications, published by Alpha Science International, Oxford, UK. His interests include plant biotechnology, food biotechnology, bacterial quorum sensing, microbiological corrosion, bioprospecting of medicinal plants, and forest diseases and management. Presently, he is the coordinator for the Department of Science and Technology, Promotion of University Research and Scientific Excellence and University Grants Commission innovative programs. Jamuna A. Bai is an ICMR senior research fellow in the Department of Studies in Microbiology, University of Mysore, India. She has authored four research papers, a review article, and four book chapters. She is currently working on the role of quorum sensing in food-borne bacteria for regulating the expression of spoilage phenotypes and production of virulence factors. Her research interests include studying quorum sensing and biofilms in food-related bacteria, developing quorum-sensing inhibitors, and investigating antimicrobial and anti-quorum-sensing activity of phytochemicals.
- PublisherApple Academic Press Inc.
- Date of Publication23/12/2014
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Place of PublicationOakville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintApple Academic Press Inc.
- Content Note93 black & white illustrations, 54 black & white tables
- Weight1202 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Edited byJamuna A. Bai,Ravishankar Rai V.
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.13New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.21New
- AU $6.50Used
- AU $31.93New
- AU $20.04New
- AU $24.96New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $38.54
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $29.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.