All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFollowing two major waves of immigration after World War II, the Bangladeshi community in the East London borough of Tower Hamlets is w one of the largest in the Bangladeshi diaspora, counting some 65,000 people. This is the first in-depth study of language and language-use within this Bangladeshi community. Based on a corpus of spontaneous speech data collected within the area, it provides the reader with an overview of the linguistic characteristics of Bengali-English as well as patterns of language-use. This book focuses on three areas: first, following the tradition of similar studies of the language of mirity groups, an analysis of Bengali-English morphosyntax provides a detailed description of its morphosyntactic properties and the different developmental stages learners pass through. Second, a sociolinguistic analysis of the influence of social and psychological factors on the language and its speakers is presented. And last, based on quantitative survey data, and supported by qualitative data obtained through ethgraphic interviews, the study evaluates the issues of identity and ethlinguistic vitality within the Bangladeshi community.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Sebastian M. Rasinger is a lecturer in Applied Linguistics and English Language at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, having previously worked at the University of Sussex, Roehampton University and the University of Westminster. He holds a D.Phil. in Linguistics and a Postgraduate Certificate in Social Research Methods from the University of Sussex. His primary research interests are in the area of urban multilingualism, particularly second language acquisition and language-use in migrant communities, and language and identity.
- Author(s)Sebastian M. Rasinger
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/09/2007
- Series TitleContemporary Studies in Descriptive Linguistics
- Series Part/Volume Number11
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Notefig. and tables
- Weight400 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.50
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $20.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.