All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOver the 100 years since Benny Goodman's birth, interest in his life and music remains as intense as ever-yet there has been new discographical information since 1996. Benny Goodman: A Supplemental Discography fills that gap, gathering materials uncovered since the last bio-discography of Goodman in 1996. The antated discography, presented chrologically, updates some previously kwn information and adds nearly 100 new discoveries, including over 65 previously unkwn radio broadcasts, airchecks, and films. Jessup presents new details about live appearances ranging from the mid-1980s back to the 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert, including an analysis of the controversial 1999 Sony reissue of that concert. Jessup also offers an essay detailing some of the difficulties of finding recordings in a digitally progressive age, as new techlogy can assist with-or hinder-collecting and evaluating this vintage music. An additional exploratory discography of smaller, collector-oriented labels describes nearly 400 reissues and collectible LPs, tapes, and CDs personally audited by Jessup and his associates. All 182 shows of the famous Camel Caravan radio series (1936-1939) are offered in print for the first time in an authoritative list. The volume concludes with a necrology of those associated personally or professionally with Benny Goodman who have passed away since 1996, and indexes by song title and musician make the material more accessible.
- Author BiographyDavid Jessup is a musician, collector, archivist, broadcaster, consultant, and writer. He wrote liner notes for Benny Goodman: The NBC Broadcasts from Chicago's Congress Hotel (1998) and Benny Goodman 1930-1933, and he was a consultant on Benny Goodman: The Radio Years Vol. 1, The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert (remastered 1999) and Classic Columbia and Okeh Benny Goodman Orchestra Sessions (2008).
- Author(s)David Jessup
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication25/06/2010
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleStudies in Jazz
- Series Part/Volume Number62
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1138 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.