All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn January 16, 1938 Benny Goodman brought his swing orchestra to America's venerated home of European classical music, Carnegie Hall. The resulting concert - widely considered one of the most significant events in American music history - helped to usher jazz and swing music into the American cultural mainstream. This reputation has been perpetuated by Columbia Records' 1950 release of the concert on LP. Now, in Benny Goodman's Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert, jazz scholar and musician Catherine Tackley provides the first in depth, scholarly study of this seminal concert and recording. Combining rigorous documentary and archival research with close analysis of the recording, Tackley strips back the accumulated layers of interpretation and meaning to assess the performance in its original context, and explore what the material has come to represent in its recorded form. Taking a complete view of the concert, she examines the rich cultural setting in which it took place, and analyzes the compositions, arrangements and performances themselves, before discussing the immediate reception, and lasting legacy and impact of this storied event and album. As the definitive study of one of the most important recordings of the twentieth-century, Benny Goodman's Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert is a must-read for all serious jazz fans, musicians and scholars.
- Author BiographyCatherine Tackley is Senior Lecturer in Music at The Open University, UK. Her first book, The Evolution of Jazz in Britain, 1880-1935, was published in 2005. In 2006-7 Catherine was Visiting Edison Fellow at the British Library National Sound Archive, and in 2009-11 was co-investigator on the AHRC-funded project 'What is Black British Jazz?' She is a co-editor of the Jazz Research Journal (Equinox). Catherine is currently Director of Dr Jazz and the Cheshire Cats Big Band.
- PrizesWinner of Jazz Publication of the Year 2013.
- Author(s)Catherine Tackley
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication10/01/2013
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleOxford Studies in Recorded Jazz
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, figures, printed music items
- Weight262 g
- Width143 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.