All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBerkhamsted is a market town in the Dacorum Hundred. The Norman castle, which still belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall today, and Berkhamsted Town Hall, opened in 1860, together epitomize the character of the town. The castle, although a ruin for several hundreds of years, attracts thousands of visitors annually as a place of recreation and historical interest, and reminds us of the town's importance in years gone by. The Town Hall, with its thriving market, dating back to Saxon times, and its meeting rooms, is the hub of Berkhamsted's flourishing community. It was saved from demolition by a band of independent citizens in the 1970s. The 'homestead among the hills' also has a hinterland of fine countryside. All of this and much more is brought to life in this fascinating tour of Berkhamsted Through Time.
- Author BiographyThe Berkhamsted Local History & Museum Society was founded in 1950 as the Berkhamsted and District Local History Society, to promote an interest in local history and to conserve documents and artefacts relating to its history. Now known as the Berkhamsted Local History & Museum Society it remains true to its original aims. With a thriving membership of about 240, as well as monthly lectures from September to March and summer outings, it publishes The Chronicle annually, holds exhibitions triennially when finances allow, gives two prizes annually to children at Victoria School (the Percy Birtchnell Memorial Prize), and stages Heritage Open Days every September. Its large collection is housed, under a loan agreement, in the Dacorum Heritage Trust Museum Store, an accredited museum, in Berkhamsted. The Society has produced 16 panels depicting the history of Berkhamsted Castle and its influence on the town. These are displayed in the Visitor Room at the Castle by arrangement with English Heritage. The Room is manned by voluntary stewards, mainly Society members. Guided tours of the Castle are given to school and other groups throughout the year. The Society hopes one day to achieve its dream of a Berkhamsted Museum where its collection can be displayed to the public.
- Author(s)Berkhamsted Local History & Museum Society
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/03/2013
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.