All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionAuthor David Cooper examines the career of Bernard Herrmann, as well as the specific elements that went into the creation of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir's score. Cooper traces the development of Herrmann's craft as a film composer, especially through his radio work, where he made contact with Orson Welles, which led to his first film score, Citizen Kane. In this guide, Cooper considers Herrmann's musical technique and offers a theorization of some of the ways in which music can be meaningful in film. A quantitative, evidence-based study of the score is provided, in which, the extent to which Herrmann adopted screenwriter Philip Dunne's suggestions for music in the screenplay are discussed. A rundown of all the cues found in Herrmann's manuscript is followed by an examination of the score as a musicological artifact, and in his evaluation of the overall approach to the soundtrack, the author considers the musical detail of the score's structure, its themes and their orchestration. He also explores n-musical contexts of the film, including the screenplay's relationship to the popular vel from which it was adapted, as well as the contribution of director Joseph L. Mankiewicz and the performances of Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison. Cooper's thoughtful assessment of Herrmann's score is a fine tribute to this major work by a great and influential composer.
- Author BiographyDavid Cooper is Professor of Music and Technology and Head of the School of Music at the University of Leeds. He is the coeditor of The Mediterranean in Music: Critical Perspectives, Common Concerns, Cultural Differences (Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2005) and author of Bernard Herrmann's Vertigo: A Film Score Handbook.
- Author(s)Mr David Cooper
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication04/08/2005
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleFilm Score Guides
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight267 g
- Width140 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.