All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionAfter presenting the theory in engineers' language without the unfriendly abstraction of pure mathematics, several illustrative examples are discussed in great detail to see how the various functions of the Bessel family enter into the solution of technically important problems. Axisymmetric vibrations of a circular membrane, oscillations of a uniform chain, heat transfer in circular fins, buckling of columns of varying cross-section, vibrations of a circular plate and current density in a conductor of circular cross-section are considered. The problems are formulated purely from physical considerations (using, for example, Newton's law of motion, Fourier's law of heat conduction electromagnetic field equations, etc.) Infinite series expansions, recurrence relations, manipulation of expressions involving Bessel functions, orthogonality and expansion in Fourier-Bessel series are also covered in some detail. Some important topics such as asymptotic expansions, generating function and Sturm-Lioville theory are relegated to a last chapter. Perhaps the reader will see how physical ideas are beautifully incorporated into mathematics and vice versa, and appreciate the compelling beauty of applied mathematics in action.
- Author BiographyK. B. M. Nambudiripad.: Formerly Professor of Mechanical Engineering National Institute of Technology Calicut (Retired) Dean (Amritapuri Campus), Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
- Author(s)K. B. M. Nambudiripad
- PublisherAlpha Science International Ltd
- Date of Publication31/08/2013
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAlpha Science International Ltd
- Width185 mm
- Height240 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.