All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn gaining an instrumental part, becoming a fashion, the victimhood theme has drawn attention to its fascinatory and manipulative aspects, and has asked for a critical reconsideration. This volume makes te of an attempt to sustain a conversation about changes in the ways the processes of victimization are written out and comprehended. The contributors aim to expose some recent instances and modalities of cultural and political constructions of victimhood in various parts of the world. Our concern with the overlapping areas of victimhood and rhetoric points to the ambiguous manner in which language and images thread their way into the critical discourses of today, and even devise a vicious reversal of the victimized/victimizer positions. Although we ask: can the victim's real ever be fully represented?, we keep holding on the simple assurance that only an attempt at representation of the real in an actual performance can bring us closer to the victimizing event, make us grasp its other contested constructions and foresee the materiality of the effects of its linguistic implications. We try to suggest a comparative approach that would link different experiences of victimization, possibly enabling a cognitive exchange, and emphasize the necessity of raising the writers' and readers' awareness of the narrative consequences of victimizing processes and the policies following on from them.
- Author BiographyFatima Festic has worked as a Professor, Lecturer and Research Fellow at various universities in USA, Europe, South Africa, Turkey. She is currently working on her third and fourth book - on politicization of horror, and on gender and trauma. She published more than 40 articles pertaining to literary, psychoanalytic and feminist theory/criticism, semiotics and cultural studies.
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication23/04/2009
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Weight431 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byFatima Festic
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.