All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionFred Doucette always wanted to be a soldier. In the 1960s he joined the Canadian Armed Forces and served in Cyprus in the 1970s and 80s and Bosnia in the 1990s. When he returned home to New Brunswick in 1999 after his last overseas tour, he was diagsed with severe chronic post-traumatic stress disorder. Eventually released from the army, Fred found a position with the Operational Stress Injury Social Support (OSISS) program, where he supported serving soldiers and veterans for ten years. Better Off Dead chronicles Fred s efforts in helping to rehabilitate and support soldiers and veterans suffering from what the military terms operational stress injuries. We meet Ted, saved from a suicide attempt by a timely phone call; Bob, at wit s end and reluctantly seeking help to overcome severe PTSD; Roger, caught in a cycle of violence and drug and alcohol abuse; and Jane, diagsed with PTSD after having been sexually assaulted while on a tour of duty in Afghanistan. These accounts are raw, desperate, and often angry, but as Doucette shows, there is hope and real progress for those able to obtain proper diagsis and treatment. Includes a colour insert with 15 photos.
- Author BiographyDuring his thirty-two years of military service Fred Doucette served on six overseas missions, including a yearlong tour in Sarajevo, Bosnia, where he was wounded in 1995. In 2002 he was medically released from the army for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. After his release Fred was employed as a civilian Peer Support Coordinator, assisting soldiers and veterans with their service-related psychological injuries. The author of the memoir Empty Casing, Fred lives in Fredericton, New Brunswick.
- Author(s)Fred Doucette
- PublisherNimbus Publishing (CN)
- Date of Publication07/01/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMilitary History
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintNimbus Publishing (CN)
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width147 mm
- Height221 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.