Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1958 a considerable group of Mennites travelled down from Canada to Central America. They considered Canada to be too modern and sought after the simplicity of a more traditional society. Their search led them to Mexico and Paraguay. And to Belize, the setting of this newly published volume. This book is the first important study about the Mennite community in Belize, consisting of approximately 10.000 people. Much like the Amish in the US, these Mennites transport themselves in characteristic horse drawn buggies, they live in large families and try to keep their houses and households as sober as possible. And they are religious, of course. Although modernity is slowly moving ahead, even for them.
- Author BiographyCarel Roessingh is anthropologist, working at the department of Culture, Organization and Management at the Faculty of Social Sciences. Tanja Plasil is an anthropologist.
- Author(s)Carel Roessingh,Tanja Plasil
- PublisherVU University Press
- Date of Publication22/01/2010
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationAmsterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintVU University Press
- Content Noteb/w photos & illus
- Weight450 g
- Width240 mm
- Height170 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.