All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionIn Between Slavery and Freedom, Julie Winch explores the complex world of those people of African birth or descent who occupied the borderlands between slavery and freedom in the 350 years from the founding of the first European colonies in what is today the United States to the start of the Civil War. However they had navigated their way out of bondage - through flight, through military service, through self-purchase, through the working of the law in different times and in different places, or because they were the offspring of parents who were themselves free - they were determined to enjoy the same rights and liberties that white people enjoyed. In a concise narrative and selected primary documents, ted historian Julie Winch shows the struggle of black people to gain and maintain their liberty and lay claim to freedom in its fullest sense. Refusing to be relegated to the margins of American society and languish in poverty and igrance, they repeatedly challenged their white neighbors to live up to the promises of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness enshrined in the Declaration of Independence. Winch's accessible, concise, and jargon-free book, including primary sources and the latest scholarship, will benefit undergraduate students of American history and general readers alike by allowing them to judge the evidence for themselves and evaluate the authors' conclusions.
- Author BiographyJulie Winch is professor of history at the University of Massachusetts Boston, where she specializes in the lives and genealogies of African Americans in the Revolutionary era and the Early American Republic.
- PrizesWinner of Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2014.
- Author(s)Julie Winch
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication04/04/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleThe African American History Series
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Note12 black & white halftones, 3 tables
- Weight426 g
- Width160 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.